Grandma got a new laptop, her laptop from ~2008 simply didn't have the resources to run stuff in 2020.
Her replacement laptop was also not new, but a big upgrade and very usable in the next few years.
The downside - it did not have a Wi-Fi module. It originally came with one, so adding one wasn't a problem, but I totally forgot to source one.
Not a big of a problem, the old laptop had one that would work just fine.
Or so I thought.
The new laptop had a smaller cutout for the Wi-Fi module, where the old laptop's module would not fit into.
Usually that's a problem, since normally the Printed circuit board (PCB) are used completely - taking some off will result in breaking the module.
But not with this one!
The top bit is see-through and doesn't show any traces of traces (hah) or other electronics. So it's safe to remove the see-through part.
Now comes the fun part, removing the removable parts of the PCB!
I used a grinding machine for this, the one in the background.
After a bit of back and forth with the module, this is what I ended up with. Some error of margin left, so I didn't accidentally removed too much.
And the replacement laptop was happy with the old Wi-Fi module!